Additional information on the software tools can be found on their respective websites, including details on the specific open-source license for each toolkit.
The goals for the project include the following:
- Establish a foundation for future, reproducible research.
- Create a repository of fundamental algorithms.
- Develop a platform for advanced product development.
- Support commercial application of the technology.
- Create conventions for future work.
- Support education in scientific image analysis.
- Grow a self-sustaining community of software users and developers.
SimpleITK was created as part of a concerted effort to simplify the use of the Insight Toolkit, making it more accessible to a wider audience. The initial funding for the toolkit was provided by the United States National Library of Medicine (NLM) under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), with the initial version of the toolkit developed as a collaboration between The Mayo Clinic, Kitware Inc, The University of Iowa and NLM's intramural research program. The first major release of the toolkit was announced in April-May 2017.